Tofu, also called bean curd, is a gentle, comparatively bland food product made from soybeans. Tofu is an significant source of protein in the cuisines of China, Japan, Korea, and Southeast Asia. Tofu is made from dried soybeans that are soaked in water, crushed, and boiled. Tofu is 7% protein and is high in calcium, potassium, and iron. It is also a good resource of calcium, manganese; a source of phosphorus, selenium.
Combine with greens, a rich source of vitamin A, folate, vitamin C; a source of vitamin E, vitamin K, calcium, manganese.
Ingredients for Garlic Tofu and Greens
- 3/4 pound firm tofu, sliced in 1-inch cubes
- 3 tablespoons canola oil, divided
- 2 tablespoon toasted sesame oil, divided
- 6 cloves garlic, minced, divided
- 4 cups water
- 2 cups uncooked penne pasta
- 1 bunch kale, tough ribs removed, chopped
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- Salt and pepper to taste
Method for Garlic Tofu and Greens
- Heat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment or foil. Toss tofu cubes with 2 tablespoons of canola oil, 1 tablespoon of sesame oil and half of the minced garlic, making sure the cubes are well coated.
- Spread in a single layer on the baking sheet and bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until lightly golden.
- While tofu is baking, bring 4 cups of water to a boil. Add penne pasta and boil for 10 minutes or until pasta is tender.
- Heat the remaining oils in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the rest of the garlic and red pepper flakes and let them sizzle for just a moment.
- Add the kale a handful at a time, turning frequently with tongs.
- Once kale turns bright green and begins to wilt, about 2 to 3 minutes, turn off the heat. Mix the kale with the baked tofu, tossing well.
- Season with salt and pepper. Serve over pasta.
Serving Suggestion for Garlic Tofu and Greens
The toasted sesame oil and garlic add depth to this simple vegetarian dish. This meal makes it easy to get greens in your diet. Try using broccoli for the kale when broccoli’s on sale. Or leave out the pasta and top the kale with poached or fried eggs for a high protein breakfast option.
Nutritional Information of Garlic Tofu and Greens
380 calories, 18 g. fat, 35 mg. cholesterol, 70 mg. sodium, 41 g. carbohydrate, 2 g. fiber, 17 g. protein